What is Corporate Energy?

Corporate energy can be defined in many ways with the majority of suppliers considering a business to be Corporate if they have a Half-Hourly electric meter. Many suppliers also consider a gas and electricity usage of over a certain threshold to be Corporate – usually over 1 million kWh’s.

Suppliers will also consider all businesses that are no longer classed as ‘Non-Micro’ to be Corporate.

Ofgem defines a Micro Business as;

Employs fewer than 10 employees (or their full time equivalent) and has an annual turnover or balance sheet no greater than €2 million; or uses no more than 100,000 kWh of electricity per year; or uses no more than 293,000 kWh of gas per year.

Source: Ofgem

Any company that doesn’t meet this criteria is considered a Large Enterprise and as such would be considered Corporate in the energy market.

Corporate Board Room

The Space Between Micro Business & Large Enterprise

The EU defines SME as;

“The category of micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) is made up of enterprises which employ fewer than 250 persons and which have an annual turnover not exceeding 50 million euro, and/or an annual balance sheet total not exceeding 43 million euro.”

Source: Wikipedia

Between SME prices and Large Enterprises is a gap that many companies fit into. They are larger than a SME but not quite Corporate. Perhaps they use millions of kWh’s a year but only have 50 staff and don’t turnover more than 50 million euro. For these companies, they can utilise both SME prices and Corporate prices.

If you’re unsure as to whether you are considered corporate or whether you think you could benefit from using SME prices call me or email me, I’ll be happy to help.

man at work

How Can I Help?

Alignment Contracts

The Corporate contracts I arrange have custom contract lengths for any X amount of months in order to combine start dates between contracts. This can mean that regardless to how many sites you have, I can ensure that they will all start date one day after the current contract ends and then end on the same date, for example 31/12/2021. This will make managing your energy contracts simple and easy.

Energy Management Portal

I work with suppliers who can give you access to their energy management portals. These portals are a great way of being pro-active and managing your energy in house. You can view your active usage in 30 minute intervals for all of your sites. Many clients have benefited and greatly appreciate this service some suppliers offer.

The system will give warnings of problems like random spikes of energy usage or if there are any equipment malfunctions, errors and issues regarding lack of maintenance.

Energy Audit

I can organise an energy usage specialist to take a look your business or premises and analyse your energy usage. These experts can help you know where your money is going and how you could use less energy without actually comprising your business and profits.

Compliance & Accreditations

The laws in the UK can get very complex and even if you’re skilled in this area, many people could do with a helping hand. I have energy experts in the large suppliers and brokers that I work with that can ensure that your business is compliant and meets the standard of laws.

Also if you wish to meet many of the various accreditations that are available, such as;

  • Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS)
  • Carbon Reduction Commitment (CRC) Energy Efficiency Scheme Mandatory Carbon Reporting
  • Energy Certifications: DECs and EPCs Air Conditioning Inspections
  • ISO 14001 Environmental Management  ISO 50001 Energy Management
  • Climate Change Agreements (CCA)
  • Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES)
  • European  Union Emissions TradingScheme
  • Airport  Carbon Accreditation (ACA)
  • Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS)
  • Renewable Finance (PPA)
corporate services

Meter Operator & Data Collection

Every Corporate meter has to have a Meter Operator, a Data Collector and a Data Aggregator. This service costs money and your supplier will usually appoint one for you and charge you for that. I can help you get a better rate on these services. This is something that is hardly spoken about amongst brokers but can equal very substantial savings to businesses.

KVA Charge

Customers that have a Current Transformer (CT) meter will have a pass-through KVA charge added to their invoice, the charges are set and controlled by the Distribution Network Operator. There is no variance in the costs charged by individual suppliers as kVA Charges are specific to the site.

Most KVA charges are charged in pence per day per KVA.

KVA charges are usually not included in the annual estimated cost.

What I need?

If everything sounds good to you so far, what I need from you is for you to get in touch with me and tell me how I can help you. I work with small cafe’s, large chains of takeaways, care homes and large property management companies. I’d need you to let me know what your current situation is and what you’d hope to get from my help.

After you’ve let me know what services you’d like from me, I’d need you to sign a letter of authority for me so that I can work on your behalf with your current supplier and new suppliers.

Here’s an example of the letter of authority I use; Letter of Authority

Get in touch with me and let me know what your situation is and how I can help – 0208 050 5456 or hamed@hamed.energy